Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Uganda - Part 1

Unbelievable... Speechless
Those are the only words Bret & I could come up with to describe how we feel right now.  I will tell the whole story from beginning to end... once we get back to the states, but this is the first we have had internet access at a Cafe in town - so this will be short and sweet with as many pics as we can load.  

Our hearts are overwhelmed with these children!  Bret was the 1st person off the bus when we entered Canaan Children's Home.  I kid you not, he was MOBBED by about 35 - Kindergarten age kiddos.  All wanting to hug, touch and jump on him.... you almost can't walk they surround you so much!  The are ALL smiles... in dirty clothes... full of love and joy.  

Our days have been full of playing, hugging, talking, hugging, loving, and hugging some more.  I know God intended for Bret to be the 1st one off that bus....  :)

We just worked with a group called Pillars of Hope here in Jinja - they work with street children and have a program to help women get off the street from prostitution.... amazing stories... amazing work!

There are several 'little ones' who have 'claimed'  Bret and I .... you will see there pics below.  We are eating very well... Canaan cooks all our food... our feet and clothes are covered with the red clay dirt... we are constantly dirty.  They have not had rain for 6 months here... last night it POURED!!  so may muddy little ones climbing all over us this morning... LOVE IT!!


After the initial 'mob' died down... this is the crowd still wanting Bret's attention!

Shortly after arriving... the foot to the right belongs to Latisha... she came running to /me with a huge smile and eyes dancing... every time I step outside, she finds me!  She is 2 years old...such a bundle of energy and JOY!  She started to become droopy later in the day... not feeling good, so I walked her over to the hospital on the grounds - slight fever, Tylenol and off to her bed... but she told the 'Auntie" she didn't want to lay down... she wanted to stay with me, so I held her until she fell asleep.  Can you imagine not feeling good, running a fever, being 2 years old and laying in your bed by yourself with NO one to console or love on you?  How could I leave her laying there?


Try doing crafts with tons of little ones... every time we pulled out a marker it quickly disappeared!
Bret made TONS of paper airplanes.


When you pull out your camera... they come running!!
Pastor Isaac - founder of Canaan Children's Home... shared his testimony Monday night - unbelievable.
Please read a copy of it on their website - we are so humbled to be working with Pastor Isaac and his wife Mama Rebeka  taking care of the 107 children here at the home and 35 others in universities.
(holding my - Latisha)

http://canaanchildrenshome.org/


More to come.... I promise... running out of time!
Love to all!
Diana




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yeah!!!! We've been patiently waiting! And now you've made me cry! So many words behind those pics...WOW! I just love the one with you sqeezing on that littla man, love it! Just saw little Emma running down the hall to go talk to you! She's so sweet. Sheela gave her a big hug yesterday and reminded her that it's her job to give her hugs *from you*. After the big hug Emma said "thanks, I needed that" in her happy go-lucky voice. Know that we are praying for you and we look forward to THE WHOLE STORY!! ~Amber

Unknown said...

Just said a prayer for you and Bret.
I am so glad that you are getting the opportunity to join in what God is doing in Uganda.



James 1:27
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

God Bless

GB

Emily said...

Thanks for taking the time to blog and post pics. Like Amber, I can't wait to hear the whole story. Praying for you guys! And yes, I'm crying!

Brooke said...

Diana- My name is Brooke Thomas and I think I met you in the airport. I am the college student that is friends with Shelby and has been to Canaan's twice now. I am completely in love with Liticia and am so happy he had you to love on and care for her. I hope she is doing better..please update me!! my email is thomas.brooke@yahoo.com or I'm on facebook as Brooke Thomas